Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dear Mr. Anonymous Racist

Below is a copy of an anonymous letter I received today - with my response

Dear Mr. Anonymous Racist,

I received your letter in the mail today (I have also received your previous ones). Since you did not include your name or address I thought it best that I post my reply to your letter online. I want to thank you for your letter because once again, after reading it, God reminded me that the Devil always tries to fight and discourage those who are doing His work. While your letter was intended to discourage me from seeking to win all men to Christ, instead it just reaffirmed to me how necessary the fulfillment of the Great Commission is. As a reminder to you here is Matthew 28:19-20 and Mark 16:15:
19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
15And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
You see, I take God's Word very seriously. In fact, when I read the following Scriptures, which make it very clear to me that racism, partiality, and views such as you have expressed in your letter are sinful.
"Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism  35 but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right." Acts 10:34-35
"God does not show favoritism." Romans 2:11

"1My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory. 2For if a man wearing a gold ring and fine clothing comes into your assembly, and a poor man in shabby clothing also comes in, 3and if you pay attention to the one who wears the fine clothing and say, "You sit here in a good place," while you say to the poor man, "You stand over there," or, "Sit down at my feet," 4have you not then made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? 5Listen, my beloved brothers, has not God chosen those who are poor in the world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom, which he has promised to those who love him? 6But you have dishonored the poor man. Are not the rich the ones who oppress you, and the ones who drag you into court? 7Are they not the ones who blaspheme the honorable name by which you were called? 8If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well. 9But if you show partiality, you are committing sin and are convicted by the law as transgressors. 10For whoever keeps the whole law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it." James 2

"26for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. 27For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3 

You asked the question, "Do you promote inter-racial mixing...?" I think I know what you mean by this question and my answer is YES! You see, I believe the church of all places should be a place where people of every race, color, and background come together as one and worship Christ. So I make no apologies for not looking on the outward appearance of people and yes I encourage inter-racial mixing.

You also asked if I promote inter-racial marriage. I promote the marriage of any Christian couple, who have not been previously married, who are in love with one another and show the maturity and commitment that marriage requires. I know many inter-racial couples who have wonderful marriages that are an example of Christ's love to us. Marriage is after all a picture of Christ's love. I know I am thankful that He loved me despite my outward appearance. I am so thankful that an olive skinned Jewish man died for me a white man! You see, once again I remind you that God does not look on the outward appearance but on the heart!

As far as my "promotions" as you called them, I will most certainly pray about them. I am praying that God will expand them and further them. I am currently in the process of leaving my current church and seeking God's will about where He wants me in the future. One of my main passions is to pastor a healthy multi-cultural church where people of all races and nationalities are welcomed and included. You see, I truly believe that the Great Commission includes everyone. I'm certainly thankful it includes me as a white man. I'm very thankful that somewhere in the past, someone of a different race and color had a burden to share the Gospel with the white man. It is my prayer and mission that God will use me as a white man to share the Gospel with men and women of every race and color!

Dear Mr. Anonymous Racist I ask you to consider Revelation 5. Revelation 5 is of course the Apostle John's vision of Heaven. In the verses below they are a glimpse into the purposes of God in the death of His Son Jesus Christ and they also give us a glimpse of what Heaven will be like.
And they sang a new song, saying: "You are worthy to take the scroll, and to open its seals; For You were slain, and have redeemed us to God by Your blood out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation 10 And have made us kings and priests to our God; And we shall reign on the earth.” 11 Then I looked, and I heard the voice of many angels around the throne, the living creatures, and the elders; and the number of them was ten thousand times ten thousand, and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice: “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain to receive power and riches and wisdom, and strength and honor and glory and blessing!” 13 And every creature which is in heaven and on the earth and under the earth and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, I heard saying: “ Blessing and honor and glory and power Be to Him who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb, forever and ever!” 14 Then the four living creatures said, “Amen!” And the twenty-four elders fell down and worshiped Him who lives forever and ever.
I also remind you that God so loved that world that whosoever would believe in Him would have everlasting life (John 3:16). Since this is the case I have sought to align myself with God's purposes and have sought to reach all men with the message of salvation - regardless of their color.

I do pray that you too will repent of the sin of racism so that you can be part of that number gathered around the throne of God praising Him forever. Meanwhile in this life if you want to get in practice for Heaven I encourage you to find a church where various races and people worship God in harmony together. I close this letter to you with one more passage of Scripture from Galatians 3:

26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Yours for the salvation of all men,
Pastor Jon Earls

No comments:

Post a Comment